Saturday, August 15, 2009

Canning with my Niece

Last weekend Kelly and I stayed with my niece, Kara, and her husband Travis in Spooner, WI. Saturday was my 30 year class reunion. Sunday we were all going to get up and go for breakfast at Jo Mama's where my other niece, Alyssa is working. Kara and I were up at 9:00am ready to go. Trav and Kelly were still snoring so we let them sleep. That's what they get for staying up until 3:00 in the morning!


Kara and I waiting for our food



Here's our adorable waitress, Alyssa

After breakfast Kara asked me to go in town with her to price a pressure cooker because she wanted to learn how to can. Trav and her planted a garden this year and she wanted to can some of it to enjoy this winter. We did stop at her house first to see if the guys were up, but they were still sleeping so we headed off to town without them. Through Divine intervention we found a pressure cooker at a bargin price and knew Kara was meant to have it!

Before we could start canning we had to head out to the garden and pick some beans. We were able to pick about four bucketfuls which was enough for 6 quart jars.

Beans are washed and in jars waiting to be canned!



Canning is quite the process, but it's so worth it!!




Puttin on the lids, almost done!





Kara canning her first batch of green beans!!! Way to go, you did it!!!!


The most wonderful sound to my ears is hearing the lids ping and you know that all your efforts were not in vain and your jars have sealed. I love to can and I am so glad I was able to teach my niece how to do it. Knowing Kara, she'll be a pro and have her pantry stocked for the winter.
Love you Kara and I really enjoyed spending time with you, it was the highlight of my weekend.
God, thank you for the gift of family and for the harvest season!
Sheilda / Auntie







No comments:

Post a Comment